tyre wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyre wear

Just curious how long people's fronts last.

I've always bought budget tyres and they only seem to last 12months on my old car(astra in a estate).
    So thought I'd buy some good tyres this time for my insignia, bridgestones noless, but it's looking like they might last 12months also.

I've noticed the ware is mostly on the outside 1/4 of both front tyres.
    Would this be the result of over exuberant cornering, I'm no boy ricer, but the handling is a lot better than my old Astra I just naturally corner faster I think.
    Last edited by Ciggy; 13-05-2017, 08:25 AM. Reason: Failed to understand the difference between wear & ware!!! Cant edit title sorry!

Tyre life is really down to mileage and not months. I used to get mid range (Kumho/Vredestein) and would get 12k miles top from the fronts, I've been fitting premium Goodyear Assymentric 2 and 3 now and getting 25k minimum from the fronts. Tyre wear can be a number of issues, get it aligned first off - this is the most likely problem if it is only the outer edge - toeing in. If outer and inner then you are under inflated.

Comment

Not long after getting my Elite ST i needed some tyres so seeing as the bloke i got it from near Burton knocked some off to cover the purchase of new tyres i picked up 4 Nexen N9000 tyres. 3 years amd about 30,000 miles later i've had to change the fronts for this last MOT but the rears are still fine. Cost me about £90 a corner with fitting from one of the tyre websites. Gone cheaper this time as looking to change the car in the near future so was a bit reluctant to spend a fortune on them.

Comment

sorry, I did intend on saying I do around 12k a year.
        I'll get the alignment checked and maybe the Bridgestone's are too soft, dang it!

them Nexen's are a cheapo tyre's and you got 30k out of them very nice.

and 25k on the Goodyear Asymmetric is great also,

what i need is symmetric! then I could just turn them around and ware out the inside part of the tyre!

Comment

tyres are all a personal choice as well as what type of driving you do. I find the Assymetrics perform far better than anything I've tried. I dipped into some Nexen N8000 on my old Vectra, took them off after 1000 miles, made the car feel as if the shocks had failed all round, put Kumho on and the issue disappeared. Plenty on here though that love the Nexen

Comment

Trouble you got it, some cheap tyres have a hard compound so crap handling etc, but last forever. So expensive doesn't always mean last longer but they'll save your life when you need to stop.

Comment

The difference between each rating is about 3m or 18m difference between A and G rating. That's more than 3 siggies at 50mph, and why I put wet braking top of my priority when buying tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
                The difference between each rating is about 3m or 18m difference between A and G rating. That's more than 3 siggies at 50mph, and why I put wet braking top of my priority when buying tyres.
                What he says
                Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by Ciggy View Post
                  sorry, I did intend on saying I do around 12k a year.
                  them Nexen's are a cheapo tyre's and you got 30k out of them very nice.!
                  They got very good reviews from the vast majority of people who had bought them on the various sites i checked on when buying them. I was more than happy with them and their performance. Not sure they are that much of a "cheapo" tyre are they?

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post
                    They got very good reviews from the vast majority of people who had bought them on the various sites i checked on when buying them. I was more than happy with them and their performance. Not sure they are that much of a "cheapo" tyre are they?
                    I'd say lower mid range, price not too bad, but being as they are the only thing keeping you on the road, I always pay the money, turns out to be much cheaper n the long run. All down to type of driving, driving style etc etc.

Comment

I bought a set of alloys years ago, taken off a one year old car that got totalled.
                      Michelin tyre, not sure which ones but they stuck to the road wet or dry and lasted ages , considered the car I had them on was being driven hard all the time. ( I was a bit younger and dumber back then and wasn't afraid of throwing the car around ).
                      The tyres were the ones that came with the car from new, from Vauxhall.
                      Not sure what they use but might be worth checking it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X