1.5T Petrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5T Petrol

Real life running costs please. I have read fuel tank is smaller and mpg isn't so hot. Just trying to work costs compared to my 170 diesel. Have a feeling running costs for a year will be more than mine once take into account tax, fuel, insurance etc.

P30 lite using Tapatalk

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

I've got a 1.5T SRi tourer that i got new in March 2018 so coming up three years old. I've done about 43000 miles in it so far as i have been using it on a regular basis to travel to work and back in Derby from Chesterfield.

Tank is smaller at 50 litres and i tend to find myself filling up once a week currently generally getting anything from 380 to 420 between refills depending on how much knocking about i do at weekends. The computer in the car tends to read anything from 35 to 38mpg as i reset it each time i refill. My daily driving can range from just a straight drive out of town to the M1 then down the A38 and same on the way back or could have a few miles on each end round town dropping the little one at nursery\grandparents along with some nipping around at lunch. I sometimes depending on traffic go over the tops which uses more fuel and prior to March i spent a lot more time queuing in and out of Derby. I have a vague memory of getting around 600 miles from a tank when i was driving through France purely on the motorways doing 75mph most of the time fully loaded.

Knocking around doing urban trips its probably better than my old 160bhp diesel estate but loses out doing longer motorway miles in terms of MPG but i can do the shorter trips with no worries about the DPF getting clogged etc. I had a diesel Insignia B for a while whilst mine had the throttle pedal issue and i found my petrol one much smoother and quieter so more pleasant to be in. I definitely dont think i'm losing anything power\torque wise either. Also even going from an Insignia A Elite Nav to a B Sri with winter pack i'm not missing much in terms of spec. Only thing i really miss is the old car had AFL but i could probably change the bulbs to make things brighter on that front.

Tax wise I think its the £140ish a year band which wasnt a lot different to my old car but could be a hit compared to the newer diesels.

Insurance wise i'm in the same ball park as my older car and my mechanic uncle said longer term it'll be less hassle\cheaper in terms of servicing\maintenance etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post
      I've got a 1.5T SRi tourer that i got new in March 2018 so coming up three years old. I've done about 43000 miles in it so far as i have been using it on a regular basis to travel to work and back in Derby from Chesterfield.

Tank is smaller at 50 litres and i tend to find myself filling up once a week currently generally getting anything from 380 to 420 between refills depending on how much knocking about i do at weekends. The computer in the car tends to read anything from 35 to 38mpg as i reset it each time i refill. My daily driving can range from just a straight drive out of town to the M1 then down the A38 and same on the way back or could have a few miles on each end round town dropping the little one at nursery\grandparents along with some nipping around at lunch. I sometimes depending on traffic go over the tops which uses more fuel and prior to March i spent a lot more time queuing in and out of Derby. I have a vague memory of getting around 600 miles from a tank when i was driving through France purely on the motorways doing 75mph most of the time fully loaded.

Knocking around doing urban trips its probably better than my old 160bhp diesel estate but loses out doing longer motorway miles in terms of MPG but i can do the shorter trips with no worries about the DPF getting clogged etc. I had a diesel Insignia B for a while whilst mine had the throttle pedal issue and i found my petrol one much smoother and quieter so more pleasant to be in. I definitely dont think i'm losing anything power\torque wise either. Also even going from an Insignia A Elite Nav to a B Sri with winter pack i'm not missing much in terms of spec. Only thing i really miss is the old car had AFL but i could probably change the bulbs to make things brighter on that front.

Tax wise I think its the �140ish a year band which wasnt a lot different to my old car but could be a hit compared to the newer diesels.

Insurance wise i'm in the same ball park as my older car and my mechanic uncle said longer term it'll be less hassle\cheaper in terms of servicing\maintenance etc.
      Thanks . Yeah thinking of changing my elite nav to an Sri vx line GS.
      No winter pack thou, just heated steering wheel. Would also lose the AFL, full leather, folding mirrors etc. Do about 700 -800 miles a month, all short runs and never drops below 42mpg. Fill up once a month with maybe a £10 splash and dash few days before payday.
      My old Astra J 1.6 Sri only did low 30s mpg. Tax for siggy diesel is only £30 year.
      Just don't know if I wanna lose the extras and possibly spend extra money just for a 2 year newer car, as nice as it is.

P30 lite using Tapatalk

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

I already read this but you already know an example of my driving wouldn't help you but now you're saying about the stuff you'll lose I'll give my opinion....You get so much more car in the GS. The half leather looks very tidy in the Sri/Sri VX line so you're not losing anything in styling. You gain so much more inside yes it's minimalistic but everything is still there. It has a more modern feel. The car is planted on the road so much better too.

I've never got why people want folding mirrors. I still believe it's better to leave them out so a passing vehicle has to miss the mirror rather than getting to close and scraping the side of the car.

Losing AFL you're gonna lose no more than bragging rights if you get one with normal lights because once you put LEDs in dipped and main beams. It transforms them not only in looks but also light output.

I seem to be the only one who raves about the safety features in the GS. You're a family man. Collision alert/braking. Pedestrian alert/braking and lane keep beat having a warm bum hands down.

I don't know what age you're looking at but 17 to early 18 plate you've chance of even more as standard like keyless entry and start.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Is what I'm looking at.
          Latest infotainment so I'm told, heated wheel, push start, no rear wiper, 18" wheels. Yeah can live without folding mirrors, only I use heated seats, love them. Yes part leather looks nice, safety features always good. Just concerned about running costs, this insignia I have is sommuch cheaper to run over a year than the petrol Astra was. Power output on 1.5t about the same, working all figures out now.

P30 lite using Tapatalk

Comment

It's guaranteed you're not gonna get less than 30mpg because I average 29 and no one makes shorter trips than me I fill up evey 5 weeks so that tells you my fuel consumption.

It's deffo the new infotainment looking at those pics.

I prefer a rear wiper. I use it all the time so not one I'd want to lose but some think the car looks better without one.

Half leather means you're sat on cloth so I'm pretty sure your not gonna miss heated seat. I've never once got in mine and thought ooh my arse is cold.

It's a nice looking car your're looking at I like those wheels.
            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Yeah I use rear wiper all the time. Undecided with wheels , don't not like . What's road tax £150? Insurance will be roughly the same imagine. well you know my runs are 13 miles in a morning 13 miles at a night.
              If figures work out just got to convince the other half . All depends on what Wilson's will offer me for mine.

P30 lite using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks nice, I like those wheels and it's the best colour . Make sure you get the spec you want though, you only have to look on here at all those people trying to upgrade and what a burger that is......
                Have you had a drive in one?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                  Looks nice, I like those wheels and it's the best colour . Make sure you get the spec you want though, you only have to look on here at all those people trying to upgrade and what a burger that is......
                  Have you had a drive in one?
                  No, and now in lockdown again. Never gonna get exact spec I want, know that. End of the day if what I really wanted was important I'd keep current car or go for an elite. But at over 2k more it's just not worth it. The more I look and think the only downside to this GS is the rear wiper missing and possibly the fuel costs.

P30 lite using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you'll like the way they drive. They strike the balance between sporty and comfort spot on. There seems to be better bump absorption than the previous model but at the same time it feels controlled. The sports seats whether they are leather or not are brilliant and I love the feel of the steering wheel, even with the flat bottom! Good luck.

Comment

I went from a pre facelift Tourer to an Insignia B so it was a fair jump but the difference is massive, the new car is miles more refined and you never feel as though you are lacking power and i've driven the car fully loaded up with two adults, little one in her car seat and dog in his crate in the boot and all the luggage for 27 days in France plodding along at 80mph on a french autoroute and it ate the miles up barely any different to the old diesel one.

Yes its not quite on a par in terms of MPG but then petrol is cheaper than diesel plus you dont have to worry about the DPF and probably cheaper costs in terms of maintenance over the diesel.

Comment

i have gone from a 2015 1.8 petrol SRI facelift, to this 2018.5 1.5T GS tourer vx line( so not a direct comparison but hopefully you get the message), my experience the difference is night and day! from a confort ,options, style , safety, drive, Gs wins hands down even without folding mirrors

however its a more difficult calculation imo to determine the full running costs difference between a diesel and petrol GS , when MPG( noting i am showing 28-29 MPG), driving style, distance, maintainance, tax ( future changes) fuel costs ( subject to change) , & insurance (which will be more on a higher value car!)

a pertol works for me in mysituation/ useage, and the gs is a more modern car in every respect.

if running costs/ MPG is the top priority then i think a new style gs diesel will come out top ,

i like the one you are considering( very similar to mine but thats a hatch,) but think about the options you want / are used too and cant live without, having lived with mine for a while now i would not be without the rear camera ,something i thought was desireable when searching but now know its a must have for me! glad i had the same wheels made it easier for me to referb myself rather than diamond cut ones , heated seats and wheel has been a god send this last few weeks, but fairly useless in summer is suspect

it has the pro info system which is best , does miss the dig dash display and rear wiper would be nice imo.

just my thoughts ramblings

dean.m

Comment

A long time ago petrol used to only manage three-quarters the mpg of diesel.
                          Newer direct-injected petrols have closed the gap a bit, diesels now need to waste a bit of fuel on regenerations and diesel costs about 5% more per litre than petrol.

So now the difference is less, perhaps 15-20% difference in total fuel bills, depending on driving style.

Insignias are large, heavy cars (larger and heavier than many people think).

Honest John says mid-30s mpg for the 1.5T, low-50s mpg for the 1.6D and low-40s mpg for the 2.0D. However, bear in mind the petrol figure will be skewed downwards because that's what people are more likely to buy for short journeys.

Several years ago I had a GTC 2.0CDTi/165 which gave about 60 mpg. Currently I have a GTC 1.4T/140 which gives about 50mpg making similar journey types to the CDTi. (I also still have a mk1 Insignia but haven't had both petrol and diesel versions for direct comparison like the GTCs).

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                            .... The car is planted on the road so much better too.
                            Could that be simply down to trim level influence on suspension, plus wheel size and brand of tyre? I find my 2012 Elite handles surprisingly well for a large heavy car. Not as well as my GTC, mind, but they're built for different things and the GTC is a little crashy for family duties (and of course is missing the rear doors).

I've never got why people want folding mirrors.
                            Neither did I until I wanted to keep my Insignia in my garage at night. It's too wide to get through the garage door without mirrors folded and being so tight it's nice to unfold the mirrors again once inside my garage so I can continue to judge my position.
                            I was caught out by the early GTCs having folding mirrors but later ones didn't. I didn't think to check folding mirrors when I bought my GTC because my previous one had them but this one doesn't have them. So it is a bit of a chore having to undo seatbelt, roll down window, stretch across to reach out the passenger window to fold mirror, reverse a bit more, then repeat to unfold mirror once inside garage.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post

Could that be simply down to trim level influence on suspension, plus wheel size and brand of tyre? I find my 2012 Elite handles surprisingly well for a large heavy car. Not as well as my GTC, mind, but they're built for different things and the GTC is a little crashy for family duties (and of course is missing the rear doors).

Neither did I until I wanted to keep my Insignia in my garage at night. It's too wide to get through the garage door without mirrors folded and being so tight it's nice to unfold the mirrors again once inside my garage so I can continue to judge my position.
                              I was caught out by the early GTCs having folding mirrors but later ones didn't. I didn't think to check folding mirrors when I bought my GTC because my previous one had them but this one doesn't have them. So it is a bit of a chore having to undo seatbelt, roll down window, stretch across to reach out the passenger window to fold mirror, reverse a bit more, then repeat to unfold mirror once inside garage.

The comparison I made took into account that I had driven an Insignia A SRi facelift for around 3 weeks while my Energy was being repaired back in 2015 and I remember commenting on here how harsh I found it. Even my wife and grand kids commented on it. It didn't take the bumps well and to me didn't feel very safe. Tyre pressures were high so I dropped them some but it made no difference. It may have been just that car I don't know. My own Energy at the time although it ate the bumps better it was wollowy in the corners. Both had 18" wheels and both had Brigestone tyres. The only difference between the two was the SRi had stiffer suspension.

My current Grand Sport both eats up the bumps and takes corners with ease. The wheels are still 18s but the tyres are Hankooks. From all accounts The majority of the range (minus the GSI and flexi ride) on Insignia Bs have the same suspension. ie no difference between the Design, SRi or SRi VX Line.

Yeah that's where folding wing mirrors will come into their own. It's just road side and car parks I personally prefer to leave them out. Not that I park in those two places if I can help it.

Comment

Working...
                              X