Heartbroken, to say the least

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartbroken, to say the least

So I've gone out to the car this morning and she won't go into gear while the engine is running. I'm devastated. I'm due to be going to Norfolk in the morning with the kids!

If I take the handbrake off, clutch down and gently push into a gear, it'll roll forward a little. So I'm assuming clutch issue. It was driving absolutely fine yesterday and day before. No rumbling from clutch pedal, drove fine, bites nice and low, gearbox was smooth. Just a little stiff on the clutch pedal and a little creaky? but my Astra was like that.

Would the Regen/Adblue alert I've been trying to clear prevent it going into gear? Car starts fine.

Some choice words lined up for my dealer.

For clarification;

Insignia A
    2.0cdti170.
    2015 plate

No the keep driving message would not stop it from going into gear .
    Sounds like the CSC has given up
    Is the keep driving message still up on your dashboard?

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Developments.

After trawling the forum I noticed a few posts about starting on cold and change of gearbox oil.

So I let her idle for a while and low and behold, I can now change gears. Its still clunky and not as smooth as yesterday but its mobile.

Drove round for 5 mins, changing gear just fine, only 1st and reverse are stiff. Parked up and now I've noticed there is clear oil puddling under the car which I assume is gearbox oil.

AA on the way as I'm not savvy enough to know what or where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpnick View Post
        Developments.

After trawling the forum I noticed a few posts about starting on cold and change of gearbox oil.

So I let her idle for a while and low and behold, I can now change gears. Its still clunky and not as smooth as yesterday but its mobile.

Drove round for 5 mins, changing gear just fine, only 1st and reverse are stiff. Parked up and now I've noticed there is clear oil puddling under the car which I assume is gearbox oil.

AA on the way as I'm not savvy enough to know what or where to look.
        As lizzard-t has just stated.....the csc as gave uonthe ghost.....hence the puddle.

check your brake fluid reservoir. If its low or empty, then you'll get your answer.

Comment

Mr AA confirms it is indeed the CSC.

I am absolutely livid. There is no way the dealer wasn't aware of this issue. Waiting for a call back from them, I am returning the car.

I could perhaps overlook the fact it needed a good run to clear the adblue/dpf messages but this is a serious mechanical fault. Not even going to indulge the warranty. I don't know what else they have lied about.

Its a shame because I really like the car. Now back to the hassle of car hunting again...

Comment

Originally posted by Carpnick View Post
            Mr AA confirms it is indeed the CSC.

I am absolutely livid. There is no way the dealer wasn't aware of this issue. Waiting for a call back from them, I am returning the car.

I could perhaps overlook the fact it needed a good run to clear the adblue/dpf messages but this is a serious mechanical fault. Not even going to indulge the warranty. I don't know what else they have lied about.

Its a shame because I really like the car. Now back to the hassle of car hunting again...
            Don't let it get you down.
            I had my insignia less than a fortnight and the clutch went.
            Garage I bought it off replaced the whole lot free as it was under warranty.

Take the car back and speak with the garage.
            The car is covered the garage warranty so rather than lose thousands on a sale, they might come to an arrangement.

After all, your buying a second hand car, someone else's trouble.....as you don't know how the car was treated beforehand.

I was the same......we all are the same when buying a car.
            Even buying a new car doesn't stop the new owner finding faults.

Comment

I agree with Rab, I would probably give the garage a chance to sort it, the next one you find could have similar problems. it's a smart looking car otherwise and with a new clutch/csc it's something you're not going to have to pull out for.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Dealer manager is calling me back in the morning.

My wife brought up your valid point that any used car could do the same. We love this car and it suits our needs perfectly, so before making any decisions we're going to see what the dealer has to say.

If he agrees to fix the clutch, I will ask him to do all the other outstanding faults too which I overlooked in good faith that the rest of the car was OK before I consider keeping it, specifically a proper regen cycle and clear the ad blue error, and properly do the air con as the regas they did made no difference.

Comment

It's a wear and take item like tyres , bulbs etc .you have to thank the car that it did it today and not whilst you were away on holiday.
                  i don't know if you saw my post on your other thread ,or you just ignored it
                  but there's no way you should of been left to drive the car car around to clear the fault when it should be down to the seller to rectify that .
                  the seller has a legal duty to rectify those faults .,no questions asked . If no redress then the sale of goods act is the next corse of action .

.K.M.P.C.U
                  YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Forgive me if I missed that on another post mate, I wouldn't deliberately ignore advice offered freely.

Now the dust has settled a bit and talking it over with the wife, it is likely we will tell them to rectify the car to an acceptable standard.

As you say, small mercies this happened at home and not on holiday! Thankfully I work for the railways and we can still make it tomorrow. Just gotta get the Mrs to pack less!

Comment

I find it very easy to fall out of favour or love with a car when it goes wrong and the same can be said of the Insignia when a couple of weeks after we got it the Nox sensor went followed shortly by the turbo house disintegrating leaving us stuck at the side of the road.

Had the same thoughts as you but the wife said we should stick with it as it was what we needed from a car and touch wood its been fine ever since and as a family wagon has been faultless.

Comment

So the dealership are being deeply unpleasant.

After calling to complain that the car was faulty already undrivable, and that it was down to them to mend it rather than dip into my warranty, they got very defensive and patronising, started quoting their rights as a dealer etc.

Thankfully, I have legal advice and representation through my union at work as the car was going to be used for commuting. So the next call they get will be a solicitor who's better versed in these matters than me.

As for the car, I am going to keep it as the whole family like it and get these issues sorted.

Comment

What are there rights as a dealer at the moment?
                          You have had it less than a week and its gone wrong.
                          Would they like me to go and fit a boiler in there house and then not give a sh1t when it goes wrong after 3 days ?
                          I dont think so !
                          They are at the moment giving car sales a very bad name !

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
                          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Usual spiel like "you have to get it to us at your cost" even though the car isn't drivable. "you have to give us an opportunity to fix the issues before we will accept you returning the car" which even I know for a fact is nonsense.

The manager who I dealt with conveniently "isn't available to speak to".

Didn't like it what I reminded them my deposit was paid on credit card and would be calling them to invoke purchase protection.

Comment

I think from when I went through this they have one single chance to make it right if it goes wrong in the first 30 days. If they can't or won't then you have the right to reject the car.

They are going to try everything and anything to get out of spending any more cash on it and come up with all the excuses, it happens all the time on the hope you will just go away.

I have a strange feeling though that they will change their tone when a call from a solicitor comes through!

Comment

Working...
                              X