Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Tourer Tailgate Disassembly

Afternoon Folks,

I have a 65 plate 2016 Insignia Tourer which has developed a fault with the tailgate lock.

Everything else on the car works & there are no warning lights. The only fault is that the switch to open the tailgate does nothing!

I bought a replacement switch and set out to replace it today after reading several blog & forum posts. I have managed to get the interior trim off as well as removing the light clusters. Where I have ran into an issue is how to remove the chrome strop between the rear light clusters where the switch is located.

Anyone done this and have advice, pictures or even better videos of this job?

Just try to get only the switch out. I had the issue that I couldn't get one of the bolts loose, so used a small screwdriver to get the switch out.

Comment

Hello and Herzlich Willkommen to this DIY episode of ThatGermanGuy.We are going to show you today how to replace / repair a common fault on later Vauxhall an...

45-356777 bing bong !

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by TdF8 View Post
        Afternoon Folks,

I have a 65 plate 2016 Insignia Tourer which has developed a fault with the tailgate lock.

Everything else on the car works & there are no warning lights. The only fault is that the switch to open the tailgate does nothing!

I bought a replacement switch and set out to replace it today after reading several blog & forum posts. I have managed to get the interior trim off as well as removing the light clusters. Where I have ran into an issue is how to remove the chrome strop between the rear light clusters where the switch is located.

Anyone done this and have advice, pictures or even better videos of this job?
        there's about 8 x 7mm small nuts to be removed buddy....their right along the length of the chrome trim.

be careful, there's a black plastic backing plate on he chrome trim....these can be brittle and break.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
          Thanks for this, however the Tourer is a different set up and once the nuts are removed the strip still is still solidly attached to the tailgate. I'm wondering if the entire tailgate needs stripped down....

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post

there's about 8 x 7mm small nuts to be removed buddy....their right along the length of the chrome trim.

be careful, there's a black plastic backing plate on he chrome trim....these can be brittle and break.
            Thanks,

Ive seen videos/blogs of the hatchback being worked on, however the tourer seems to be different.

Comment

Originally posted by TdF8 View Post

Thanks,

Ive seen videos/blogs of the hatchback being worked on, however the tourer seems to be different.
              It should be roughly the same bud.....but every day's a school day

Comment

i've got my tailgate trim off still so will try to take some pics of the fixing points. as well as nuts theres some plastic clips to squeeze, also got the chrome trim in the garage so will get pics of fixings on it
                Tools Owned - MDI2 / Tech2 & lots more!
                questions for me? email me at plasmasrepairs@gmail DOT com

Comment

I'm following this one, as yesterday mine wouldn't open via tailgate or the switch in door card, locked and unlocked the car fixed it but I do wonder if is the switch it self, I get no error codes so scratching my head a bit.

Comment

will take the pictures today!
                    Tools Owned - MDI2 / Tech2 & lots more!
                    questions for me? email me at plasmasrepairs@gmail DOT com

Comment

• TdF8
                      TdF8 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looking forward to solving this! Bizarrely, the tailgate has started working again....... for now.

So,

The tailgate gradually got worse over time and eventually stopped working completely. Managed to take the tailgate apart and ultimately found a water leak that had led to the connector from the number plate light/boot switch to the main tailgate loom to corrode and fail. The only solution, short of buying a complete wiring loom was to cut the wires and solder them together without using the V/X connector. Boot now works again.

Now I'm trying to source a grommet for the rear wiper arm where it goes through the rear window as thats where the leak is.....

Anyone got one or know where they are available?

Comment

Gm 90559606
                      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                        Gm 90559606
                        Thanks Howy.

Comment

Mine went last week 3rd switch its on now and yes the 2 pin connector had also corroded can i find a new one ?? No i cannot its actually connected to the rear left number plate bulb so the new switch is in but i need a new connector anyone know where i can get a new one? seen the used one on ebay but feel al end up buying new again

Click image for larger version

Name:	con1.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	301911

Click image for larger version

Name:	con2.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	301912
                          1st things to check fuses : Check fuse 15 in cabin thats for powered tailgate and fuse 16 for non powered you need at 10 amp micro fuse
                          If you need a switch for your tourer tailgate i bought this one : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283235956...53.m2749.l2649

Comment

Once you have your tailgate open it will need 2 ppl just so the rear can be lifted once its popped open as their quite heavy
                            remove trim you will need a 8 mm socket as theirs 2 nuts holding the trim in 1 to the left behind the elastic and 1 in the grab handle then carefully pull away. Once you have access remove the 5 bolts with a 10mm socket unplug the existing socket and anything else that is sat on that loom and then push from the inside so it releases the rear chrome bar and under trim you can now swap the switches around. I would say it takes about an hour to do took us two 2 hours as we had a nice sound system to move and getting to the manual switch was a mightmare but its done now thankgod . Just need a new connector

Heres what we had to go through to just fit the new switch :

Click image for larger version  Name:	boot2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.5 KB ID:	301919

Click image for larger version  Name:	boot3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	301920

Click image for larger version  Name:	boot4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.1 KB ID:	301921
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X