Rock and a hard place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock and a hard place

I currently have a 68 plate 1.6L diesel manual Elite which I'm now heading into year 4 on my PCP deal. I been to the dealers a couple of times now to discuss options - and there aren't any really. It's clear VX are winding down the Insignia B as there are only two models on the VX site now (was three two weeks ago!). My current car is mint and the dealer has offered a reasonable valuation on it, which gives me a bit of equity to play with. I really like the Siggy though, and would happily take another one, but there are so few options right now. I've not seen any other large family hatch cars I particularly like either, and with the current SUV/electric trend, that's unlikely to change. The dealer have one on the lot (pre-reg 21 plate Ultimate Nav 2L 174HP diesel). Quite a lot of kit, but 20" alloys which I'm very hesitant of (kerbing risk, firm ride, tyre price). The big question mark though - it's an automatic which I wasn't really planning for. Anyone comment on the automatic box on these Siggy's? I know fuel economy would be worsre with probably higher insurance, and my monthly PCP cost would be about £70 higher. The dealers also have no idea when the next Insignia or it's replacement will be released - some time next year, but if that's after Sep/Oct 2022, I'll be in the position where I'll either be paying the balance or handing the car back and I'll be at square one again. Also, 2nd hand car prices are good right now - in 6 months time, they might not be. Truly stuck between a rock and a hard place!

used car prices at the moment are going through the flat roof.
    you have onhaven't to look at auction prices for even early standard run abouts and its pricing dealers hungry for stock out of the market , and profits are minimal the tax man wants 20% of the difference but dealers cannot off set the preparation against it.
    You at the moment are possibly in a good position for a better trade in value than maybe 6 months due to stock issues. At dealers .
    if you are in a position to upgrade now then ask you dealer if they can source a pre reg one from another dealer to you spec .
    ( dealer transfer we use to call it)

Anyway enough squawking from me and ill allow the " Professional Mike brewers " chip in with there words of wisdom!

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I have the auto (8sp) and the 20s and love both. I get around 40mpg on the computer which is 3 to 5 mpg below my last tourer which was an Insignia a 160cdti manual. I was, I admit, worried about the 20s but when it came to changing tyres I fit a 10mm wider profile and don't worry anymore. Only thing is on anything but a smooth surface they are a bit noisy (though I haven't been in one with 18s so I don't know what they are like). The ride is actually more compliant than my last Insignia, I can't fault it and on a decent surface it's silent. Ultimate, as it says is a great spec from what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
        I have the auto (8sp) and the 20s and love both. I get around 40mpg on the computer which is 3 to 5 mpg below my last tourer which was an Insignia a 160cdti manual. I was, I admit, worried about the 20s but when it came to changing tyres I fit a 10mm wider profile and don't worry anymore. Only thing is on anything but a smooth surface they are a bit noisy (though I haven't been in one with 18s so I don't know what they are like). The ride is actually more compliant than my last Insignia, I can't fault it and on a decent surface it's silent. Ultimate, as it says is a great spec from what I have seen.
        I have 18s and they can be very noisy, in fact would say it's 90% of all the noise in the motor. Exactly the same. There is a big difference in ride between towing and normal tyre pressures. Swmbo can tell when on the higher pressure.
        Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by tman View Post
          It's clear VX are winding down the Insignia B as there are only two models on the VX site now (was three two weeks ago!).
          Yep,The Ultimate and GSi trims have been dropped on the latest UK Insignia B facelift price list (July 2021) The only petrol (and only in SRI-LX Line trim) is the 200PS. The lower-powered petrol (3-cylinder, 145 PS (and why would you buy one of those?)) never figured on UK price lists. To add insult to injury, prices have increased across the board by £1000 or so. Makes you wonder why they even bothered with the facelift as it shows just how good a buy the pre-facelift was (especially pre-2019).

The Insignia and Astra, try how they may, cannot compete with the competition, yet the Grandland, New Corsa, Crossland are doing well, and New Mokka has been well received. Also large-scale redundancies and/or new inferior contracts are being forced on Opel employees in Russelheim, not least in R & D.

Given the poor performance sales-wise of the Insignia 'B' facelift, I wonder just how well any replacement will fare, especially if it should morph into a large SUV and surely be at the mercy of all the big players in that arena.

Stellantis (led by Carlos Tavares) are determined to ensure that the only DNA in their future European products will be essentially PSA, even if the badge is different.

Also Vauxhall leasing rates are worse than those from whom they would like to capture sales.

I should stress that these are my own thoughts; I would gladly be challenged on them.

Last edited by john_k_sri; 08-09-2021, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Hi Drew regarding your change ov tyres are you using 255 35 20 instead ov 245 35 20 and don't have problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne R View Post

Hi Drew regarding your change ov tyres are you using 255 35 20 instead ov 245 35 20 and don't have problems?
              Yes, absolutely, the 255 give much better rim protection and improve the ride comfort. They fit without catching anywhere, I don't have mine lowered or spaced, it's stock. They make a 1% difference to the gearing which is not noticeable, you would have to be doing 100mph for the car to be doing an extra 1mph road speed and speedometers always read under anyway so it actually makes your speedo a touch more accurate. To top it all you don't wince when you hit a pothole unexpectedly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_172102.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	310932

​​​​​​​

Comment

Yes, absolutely, the 255 give much better rim protection and improve the ride comfort. They fit without catching anywhere, I don't have mine lowered or spaced, it's stock. They make a 1% difference to the gearing which is not noticeable, you would have to be doing 100mph for the car to be doing an extra 1mph road speed and speedometers always read under anyway so it actually makes your speedo a touch more accurate. To top it all you don't wince when you hit a pothole unexpectedly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_172102.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	310932

​​​​​​​
                Hi drew cheers for the reply Al av to keep that in mind when I need to replace mine when there due since I know there ok with 255 they look good too by the way

Comment

Originally posted by john_k_sri View Post

Yep,The Ultimate and GSi trims have been dropped on the latest UK Insignia B facelift price list (July 2021) The only petrol (and only in SRI-LX Line trim) is the 200PS. The lower-powered petrol (3-cylinder, 145 PS (and why would you buy one of those?)) never figured on UK price lists. To add insult to injury, prices have increased across the board by £1000 or so. Makes you wonder why they even bothered with the facelift as it shows just how good a buy the pre-facelift was (especially pre-2019).

The Insignia and Astra, try how they may, cannot compete with the competition, yet the Grandland, New Corsa, Crossland are doing well, and New Mokka has been well received. Also large-scale redundancies and/or new inferior contracts are being forced on Opel employees in Russelheim, not least in R & D.

Given the poor performance sales-wise of the Insignia 'B' facelift, I wonder just how well any replacement will fare, especially if it should morph into a large SUV and surely be at the mercy of all the big players in that arena.

Stellantis (led by Carlos Tavares) are determined to ensure that the only DNA in their future European products will be essentially PSA, even if the badge is different.

Also Vauxhall leasing rates are worse than those from whom they would like to capture sales.

I should stress that these are my own thoughts; I would gladly be challenged on them.
                  they might be your own thoughts but i would agree 100%, think insignia was doomed back in 2019 (if not earlier ) when they stopped the tourer production. shame as i would buy another tourer tomorrow.
                  dean .m

Comment

Current 2018 2.0l auto is my 2nd auto siggy.The first was a 2011 6-speed and the new 8-speed is smoother and quieter.I would never go back to manual!
                    I also have 20" rims but following Drews advice I put 255/35R20s on.
                    I prefer the 'look' of the larger rims and I don't notice any difference in noise levels from the old siggy with 18" wheels.

Not sure where I'll go when I replace this as I like the Tourer/Estate and all seem to be heading down the SUV route.
                    2018 Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer Nav Bluemotion 2.0 Diesel(170ps)in Silver-Keyless entry and start -20" alloy wheels-Front fog lights-Rear privacy glass-Ambient interior led lighting-Full leather seats with Winter pack-Front and rear parking assist with Rear camera-Active emergency braking-Forward collision assist-Front pedestrian alert-Traffic sign recognition-Lane keep assist-Adaptive Cruise control-Speed warning and limiter-Voice recognition-Bluetooth-Dual zone climate control-Front and rear electric windows-High beam assist -Auto lights-Auto wipers-8”Colour touchscreen Navi 900 with DAB+-Heko Wind-deflectors.

Comment

Originally posted by sri- nav View Post

they might be your own thoughts but i would agree 100%, think insignia was doomed back in 2019 (if not earlier ) when they stopped the tourer production. shame as i would buy another tourer tomorrow.
                      dean .m
                      They seriously stopped producing the Tourer for the UK? That's a big loss! They still made them for the rest of Europe, can't image they're so different in the UK compared to European versions. Only the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post

They seriously stopped producing the Tourer for the UK? That's a big loss! They still made them for the rest of Europe, can't image they're so different in the UK compared to European versions. Only the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.
                        Yep, happened a while ago - https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/va...rom-uk-market/

If you go to the Build and Price part of the Insignia page on the Vauxhall website its slim pickings now, two spec levels for the diesel and just the SRi Premium if you want a petrol and then its the 2 litre automatic one.

Comment

If you like the car why not keep it longer? Would also be cheaper in the long run than changing every time the PCP expires, but then its my mindset as I've never had a new car in 30 years driving as it doesn't really bother me. Perhaps check out bank loans if you don't have the final payment in cash.

Comment

Working...
                          X